My Small Suburban Garden

My Small Suburban Garden

Thursday 27 March 2014

Compost...

Taking the popular New Year phrase “Out with the old” perhaps a little too literally, I decided that today I should empty my kitchen compost bin into one of my two large outdoor containers.

I have a 12 inch flip-top pedal bin on my kitchen counter for appropriate scraps, used teabags, potato peelings etc, and at least once a week I lift out the convenient inner bucket and carry it outside to feed one of the bigger containers.

I bought my first bin about 7-8 years ago (the second bin followed within 2 years). It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how much waste I put into them, they always make it magically vanish!

Christmas does seem to yield rather a lot of ‘compostables‘, what with all those outer brussell sprout leaves and the tangarines which remain uneaten and are therefore mouldy by the time we’re singing Auld Lang Syne. Then, of course, there’s all those nut shells; the novelty of the nut crackers long since worn off as you swear you’ll buy pre-shelled nuts next Christmas…..


JANUARY 1, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment