My Small Suburban Garden

My Small Suburban Garden

Thursday 27 March 2014

Bizarre Butterfly Behaviour...



As I stepped outside this morning I was stopped in my tracks by the sight of several tortoiseshell butterflies appearing to be sunbathing on my paving slabs! Their wings were fully out and they just sat there.

The weather is warm, and overcast with sunny spells, so I can only assume that they are actually trying to keep warm during the cloudy / breezy periods by resting on whatever they can find that’s been pre-heated by the sun.

Strangely, none of the peacocks, small whites, large whites or commas are remotely interested in participating in this odd behaviour – just the tortoiseshells. I even had one sunbathing on the tray for the BBQ! At one point there were 5 on the floor and I had to be careful where I stood. Never seen THAT before…


AUGUST 11, 2013 

No comments:

Post a Comment